Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Lately

Returning to LA after two years of traveling with uncertain living situation has been challenging. While participating in a myriad of internships and learning experiences, I was focused on being the moment and really soaking it in. The realization of that lifestyle not being sustainable is a harsh encounter, and dare I say it, reality is a bitch sometimes. Nevertheless, I embrace a challenge.

It was daunting to return to the urban jungle, concrete walls, ten lane highways and a general populace that doesn't have the time of day for a friendly, "hello." At first, all I wanted to do was return to the safe canopy amongst the trees with fellow fun guys. Ultimately, I decided it was time to focus one one path, and stick to it. Over the last two years, my meanderings have taken me from my heritage in New Orleans, to an organic farm on Maui, a permaculture life in central Oregon amongst the trees, off-grid recycled homes in New Mexico, and an urban farm in Philadelphia. I have learned so much, and gained experiences beyond what most people can even comprehend, but all in all, I was searching for something.

Searching for the life I wanted. What I've come to realize was that, its not out there. It's not a physical place I had to get to, or a destination I needed to arrive at. As cliche as it may sound, it was the discovery of my inner spirit. My equanimous warrior self. My connection to humanity, the earth, and people I want to surround myself with - a community. It has all strengthened my spirit and enriched my life. Not to mention bolstered my resume in a direction of earthen harmony.



So I started looking for resources in LA. Lo and behold I found out there is a vast wealth of individuals and organizations connected to the organic movement. I started working on an urban farm in Silver Lake, reading permaculture threads and whatever I could get my hands on. Doing my research. It wasn't quite enough though. It was too informal for my needs. So I enrolled in UCLA's Extension program for a Horticulture Certification - 9 classes of straight up knowledge and back to the collegiate system of classes, research papers, mid terms and finals. Concurrently, I'm getting certified as a Citizen Arborist at TreePeople (it's FREE!). And what I've found in all my adventures is that opening one door leads to many doors - once you get in the hallway, its a treasure trove of what's behind each door... the inspiration is there if I'm willing to accept it and open my eyes to the possibilities. But you must struggle, you must be brave, and go beyond your level of comfort. Ad Astra Per Aspera...


Meanwhile, like a magician's ribbon trick that is never ending, I've been working on publishing Volume 2 of Pregnant Minds - and it is looking quite tasty if I do say so myself. My partner, Andrew and I started this project as an outlet for design experiment. We have no one to answer to. No ads, no censors, just content. Over 30 artists from nine countries have responded to the call of creative collaboration. We had intended on a March release, but seeing as how that has long since passed, we've opted for a more realistic approach, which is less stress - better product. We're hoping to go to print in the next couple weeks and launch a Kickstarter campaign. Here are a couple sample spreads.

 


I'm here for a while, Los Angeles. I'm gunna make you my bitch, but cuddle you so good afterward.

Through adversity, to the stars.

No comments: